Sarasota County anchors the middle of Florida’s western coast, approximately 60 miles south of Tampa Bay. It includes the cities of Sarasota, Venice and North Port, Lakewood Ranch and the Town of Longboat Key.
- The county is home to approximately 390,000 permanent residents; more than 476,000 during the winter months.
- The community encompasses 725 square miles of land and is surrounded by 37 miles of open shoreline along the Gulf of Mexico.
- Endowed with inspiring natural beauty, an appealing climate and world-class arts and culture, this coastal paradise has superior schools, significant medical research and education facilities, high educational attainment and a regional workforce of more than 350,000.
- Sarasota County bursts in graphic color, with sapphire waters and lavish greens of nature. Make your next home in an area dazzling with the bravado of Sarasota’s numerous museums, theaters and gardens and multitude of state parks. This county on the Gulf is the definition of diversity providing a lifestyle with access to more cities with more amenities than you can imagine.
- Affordable. Residents benefit from no state income tax, low property taxes, a variety of budget-friendly housing options and low energy costs. Make Florida your permanent state of residence and you will also qualify for the Homestead Exemption which results in an extra annual property tax deduction based on the assessed value.
- Cultural destination. October thru May offers the richest array of activities that include elegant Galas and Charity events, unforgettable Opera performances, a host of theatre options, musical entertainment, art walks and gallery showcases, a ten-day film festival, sand sculpting competition and much, much more.
- White sand beaches located in Siesta Key. The Intercostal Waterway flows along the east side of the Key with the Gulf along the west. In addition to Siesta Beach, you can enjoy the sun and sand on Longboat Key, Lido with its public pool, Crescent, Turtle, Nokomis and Venice beaches.
- A vast array of housing options. From villas to townhouses, to condominiums, to humble historic houses, to mansions, to large acreage estates. Whatever your heart desires, the Suncoast has it.
- Best place to retire. Money Magazine ranks Sarasota 7th for “Top Places to Retire Young” as well as the “Nation’s Best Small City” and one of the “Best Places to Retire.” The article credits Sarasota for having, “the most splendid architecture anywhere in the Sunshine State.”
- Four local hospital facilities. Money Magazine rated Sarasota as one of the “Best Cities with the Best Healthcare Systems” and Sarasota Memorial Health Care System was rated within the “America’s 50 Best Hospitals” by U.S. News & World Report as well as “10 of the Largest Safe Hospitals in the U.S.” by Forbes.com.
- Sarasota has a flourishing business community. Forbes ranks Sarasota 11th in “Best Cities for Jobs.” Sarasota County consists of more than 20,000 businesses, of which 75 percent are considered small to medium size companies with fewer than 25 employees.
- A foodies delight. Sarasota county is home to more than 1,400 restaurants from elegant gourmet eateries to fantastic food trucks. No matter what you crave, you can find it or find the fixings to prepare it. There are multiple fresh food markets, boutique/specialty grocery stores, weekly farmer’s markets, traditional butcher shops, fresh seafood vendors and restaurants.
- High quality education opportunities. Sarasota County has a variety of education options for children and adults from traditional public schools, to charter schools, private and Montessori settings, adult education facilities, technical and specialty schools as well as universities.
- Parks and Wildlife. Enjoy bird watching, hiking, observing alligators or swimming with the fishes. There are over 120 parks and trails encompassing over 3,000 acres.